Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thank G-d, It's Over!

Sorry it's been about a week since my last post. A lot has been going on here at the Bartee Household. For one, Shayna had her VCUG results come back as a Grade II Reflux - same as last year. Here is a great site that I've found to explain her problem: VESICOURETERAL REFLUX. She has now been on a low dosage of antibiotics for a year. At this time last year (check out April 4th &11th posts) we were just starting her on antibiotics. Well, she did not grow out of the Grade II Reflux, so our doctor gave us an option to either keep her on antibiotics & hopefully she'll grow out of it sooner or later, or go with a non-invasive procedure. We went with the latter.

We brought Shayna to the outpatient center on Thursday morning where her doctor performed the procedure. I have elected not to highlight a link to the Journal of Urology - where I learned all I wanted to know about the procedure. They had to anesthetize her, so it was a big deal. Mark took her in for that part... After about 20 minutes, Shayna's doctor came out and said that the procedure went well and that Shayna was in recovery. They called us in about 15 minutes later. I went in and picked her up and held her for an hour. She was crying like an infant. It took all of my will not to cry along with her. I don't wish this on anyone! After about 15 minutes she was taking sips of apple juice in between the crying. I felt so helpless... but I knew we did the right thing. Then she started to wake up a little more and she started eating crackers, then graham crackers, and then a cherry popsicle. I then got her dressed and we drove home. She was completely back to normal by 4pm. We have a follow-up appt. next Thursday and then in a month they will perform another VCUG to determine if the procedure is a success.

On Friday we headed up to the Valley to visit with Grandma and go on the Merry-Go-Round!

3 Comments:

At 4:14 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

stay safe my shayna sweetie...such a precious little girl tfu tfu tfu...loveyou all and thanks for caring and helping us with our loss...

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayna you are one tough little girl! You were running around like a champ today. Stay healthy!!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger The Amazing Trips said...

Oh poor Shayna baby!!!

Lorie, I think you did the right thing, too. It's better to try and take care of this thing - quickly - then keep her on meds indefinitely. I'm really glad to hear that she had rebounded so fast. Little kids are RESILIENT!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weather Forecast | Weather Maps | Weather Radar