Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Oh XMAS Tree.... Oh XMAS Tree...

We finally sifted through this years mess in the garage and found our lovely XMAS tree. I know you're thinking, "Wasn't the last post about Hanukkah?" Well, Mark isn't Jewish, so we have the best of both worlds, and celebrate both holidays. Lucky us! Mark's parents, Art & Lynn, bought us this tree a few years ago and it seems every year we add at least one new ornament to our meager collection. You can't really tell from this picture, but it lights up and spins around. It's really a treat for me because, being one of the Jewish faith, never had a XMAS tree/lights/ or XMAS presents, before I met Mark. Yep, it's just like Adam Sandler's Hanukkah song....









When I was a little girl, even though we did not celebrate XMAS, my brothers and I always sat on Santa's lap and told him what we wanted - even though he never came to our house (see why below). Whatever, we didn't care because we had EIGHT CRAZY NIGHTS OF PRESENTS! Here is a picture of my mom with Shayna. I just can't get that kid to smile!












I remember asking my parents how Santa knew not to stop at our Jewish house. My father told me it's because we don't have lights on our house and because we have a Mezuzah. If you don't know what a Mezuzah is, check out the picture to the left that I found on the internet. The mezuzah signifies the sanctity and blessing of the Jewish home. Actually, it is a portion of Holy Torah, inscribed in the same manner and script as a Torah. It is an "original" sanctified document in accord with laws and precepts that dare not be compromised. Ok, it's really small (well, our was) and it was placed near our front door. I figured Santa must have one of those Mezuzah-Radars.... Good enough answer for me!





We
finally got her to sit with Mr. Claus, by herself... without crying! Our XMAS/Hanukkah miracle....

2 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger marallyn ben moshe said...

ah the best of both worlds...lucky shayna...a sweet shabbat to you all

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger The Amazing Trips said...

HA!!! That's an awesome explanation ... your dad is so clever! Of course, I would have been prying that off our house, on Christmas Eve only, just so Santa would stop by. Could you get in trouble for that?!

I want to see a picture of you with your brothers & Santa. Do you still have one??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home